DevOps Specialist – Vancouver
DevOps Specialist – Vancouver
We’re looking for a Development Operations Specialist with Sys Admin knowledge to join our client’s Product Development team. Local candidates only please.
Scaling and improving database infrastructure is the main focus of this position. Collaborating with engineers, the DevOps Specialist will ensure the databases remain stable, reliable, and recoverable.
To be successful in the role, you should be able to solve production problems and maintain database performance to meet the company’s needs. You should also possess experience with web production environments and a passion for security.
This is a full time position as part of the Product Development team in a Gastown, Vancouver office, with a starting salary based on qualifications.
Job overview- DevOps Specialist – Vancouver
- Collaborating with the IT and Product Development teams to ensure integrity, security, and ongoing performance of our infrastructure, including identifying and fixing programming changes, errors, and subsequent modifications.
- Monitoring, assessing, and maintaining the SaaS infrastructure such as storage, security, and servers, with a focus on Cassandra database, Elasticsearch, and Docker Swarm for optimal operation
- Performing/scheduling/maintaining daily backup operations, including hardware and software upgrades and database normalization and replication procedures.
- Fixing errors and system issues via periodic testing, help desk tickets, and other methods
- Using and maintaining tools that automate system health checks
- Researching and recommending improvements to the organization’s hardware, software and infrastructure.
- Testing and installing issued patches in conjunction with software providers and vendors or other third parties.
- Ensuring that hardware is adequately sized and configured by conducting planning scenarios to meet future needs.
- Creating and updating disaster recovery plan or other security policies, as well as implementing and advocating for them across the business
- Managing and monitoring user accounts, creating, updating and removing access as necessary.
- Acting as a consultant to the team as a technical resource on new applications or potential system enhancements in support of future requirements or developments
Required Qualifications – DevOps Specialist – Vancouver
- An M.Sc. or Ph.D. in Computer Science or Computer Engineering
- Familiarity or experience with Relational and Non-Relational Database Technologies: MySQL/Percona, NoSQL,
- Software development skills in Python, Java, Go JavaVM settings, and Python interpreter
- 3+ years of experience in Systems Administration with an understanding of the application process and metrics to monitor resource usage
- Strong knowledge of system design, analysis, installation, backup, recovery, storage management, methodologies, processes, and tools.
- Solid experience with Cassandra, Elastic Search, Docker, Docker Swarm, HDFS/Hadoop, MySQL, CQL,
- Experience with networking TCP/IP protocols
- Practical working knowledge of Linux
- Ability to write concise and accurate documentation
- Critical thinking skills and a natural avoidance of taking shortcuts
- Trustworthiness, and the ability form meaningful working relationships
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- An innovative mindset that leads to solutions
- Good sense of ownership and accountability
The client offers a competitive compensation package, extended health benefits and a matching Retirement Savings Plan, and a culture that values flexibility, real work/life balance, and trust.